Real Talk


These are weird times. I’ll admit, when this all started, I had high hopes that this would be easy. When putting together revised syllabi, I really tried to be mindful of the circumstances that might make school hard for my students during the pandemic:  
·      Family members to take care of
·      Shared computers
·      Revised work schedules
·      Unreliable internet
This is why I opted for asynchronous classes, relaxed deadlines, etc.

Somehow, in the process, I didn’t think about how this would affect me. I’m a single mom to two boys. This means I’m now a homeschool mom – a job I never signed up for. There are now three of us trying to get work and school done on one good laptop and a very unreliable desktop – and there are not enough hours in the day for any of it.

We’re figuring it out as we go along. Over the weekend I crammed a tiny office into my bedroom so I can close the door and “go to work.” The kids have agreed to respect the “office.” I know you all need support, and I’m here for you. Possibly in my pajamas. Probably with nerf guns firing in the background.

Where the magic happens
I’m responding to emails as soon as I can, but if you need something fast – even just encouragement – text me and we can send memes, FaceTime, or fire up a Zoom meeting. I’m also on social and have made my Instagram public. I think it’s more important than ever to be accessible and transparent. (Hence this post.)

IG: @expectadventure
Twitter: @ProfessorDelfin (for academic/political rants)
Twitter: @expectadventure (for outdoorsy stuff)

Don’t stress too much about my classes. We’ll all just do our best within reason and it’ll be fine. Please do engage with each other, though. It's important to connect and feel heard. 

Hang in there, love and support each other, and please stay home. We’ve got this.


Comments

  1. Thank you professor for working so diligently for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being so considerate of us and I really appreciate your transparency.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Classrooms Are Closed. Now What?

Spirituality in Haitian Vodou